Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (Harlequin Teen, 2010)


4 Stars! An exceptionally imaginative young adult fantasy that left me heartily ready for the next book! This is the first in The Iron Fey series, with the third (or fourth if you count the novella…which I plan to read soon!) having been released a few days ago. If I could divide the book into two parts I would give the first half a three and the second half a five.

The first half of the book, while still reasonably good, introduced a plethora of characters and creatures in a manner I found a bit indulgent, causing me to laugh at parts that were supposed to have me on the edge of my seat. However, by the second half of the book, Kagawa had me glued to my earphones. Usually I listen to an audiobook while exercising or doing housework. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective ;)), the last several chapters had my housework stalled, while I stood listening to see what would happen. The end of The Iron King was intensely climatic!

Julie Kagawa has without a doubt managed to pull this reader into her world! I am looking forward to seeing what she has next in store for Meghan Chase, and her unique cast of characters!

Copied Blurb:

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny - one she could never have imagined….

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan’s life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she’s known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she’ll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

Additional Audio Notes:
Publisher: Harlequin Enterprises, Ltd
Narrator: Khristine Hyam (She did a terrific job as a Meghan Chase!)

No comments: