Saturday, April 30, 2011

Demon's Fall by Karalynn Lee (Carina Press, 2010)

Demon's FallDemon's Fall by Karalynn Lee

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


3 Stars! Angels and demons and incubus's....Oh, my!! Karalynn Lee did some very creative world building with this one!

We meet Kenan as he is strolling the Hellsgate marketplace and finds an angel caged. Jahel came to Hellsgate looking for a soul of a girl she was looking out for. Kenan immediately buys her from the merchant and takes her home. He decides to help her find the soul in hopes of getting her to bed and gaining Jahel's soul, as Kenan is an incubus.

I really had a difficult time getting into Demon's Fall. I didn't immediately connect with either of the characters. The pacing of the story was really slow for the length. It took me over a week to finish it, and it was only a novella. However, the world building and the last few chapters were able to redeem this story for me.

Lee designed an entire Hellsgate culture, along with a battle between Heaven and Earth that was really quite intense for a 26,000 words or so. And I really loved how the Kenan collected souls, very clever! I would definitely recommend this story, if only for the world building!




View all my reviews

No comments: